Thursday, June 14, 2007

bridesmaids=ex girlfriends?!?!

I experienced an epiphany this weekend. Actually I experienced more than one – if that’s possible. The first was seeing my brother drink beer. Weird. I’m sure he felt the same way once he realized that I wasn’t toting around punch in an awkward brown bottle, but Shiner.

So–I’m watching the scene unfold. Preacher and groom walk in. Groom is fidgeting nervously with his cuff links. Then, the processional starts. Bridesmaid….after bridesmaid…. after bridesmaid. All awkwardly smiling and secretly cursing the bride for choosing a color of dress so awful that Elle McPherson couldn’t even pull it off.

The groom is anxiously watching each girl traipse/plod down the aisle, all the while thinking,
“When is the right one going to get here?”

And then it occurred to me! My aha! moment came so swiftly in the sanctuary of the First Methodist Church. Those bridesmaids represent every relationship he had to suffer through before arriving at the right one. This also explains why the groom usually casts disdainful eyes upon the bride’s friends. Isn’t my theory coming together nicely?

When an acquaintance of mine was married, she had something like thirteen bridesmaids. The funny (and ironic and weird and sad) thing is – she probably had that many relationships before meeting her husband.

I realize that traditional thought says that bridesmaids/groomsmen are there to stand in support of your marriage. They often represent remnants of your past, or are what brought the two lovebirds together or better yet, they’re siblings that will be around regardless to listen to your woes as newlyweds/new parents/empty nesters.

No comments: