Sunday, September 28, 2008

Obama. Jesus. Goldman Sachs.


There. How's that for covering The Three Big No-No's of Conversation in one sentence: politics, religion and money. The only thing that would be worse is if we were all drunk. Which, given the recent events, I probably deserve a cold one. You do too.

I realize that a financial crisis is looming. And no, I am not going to tell you who to vote for. That would automatically let you in on who I'll be check-boxing in the voting booth. Religion? Yes - we should all probably pray about the election and financial "crisis".

Here is my issue: I went to college on student loans. Thank you, Sallie Mae. The house I live in? While not a sub-prime mortgage, it is mortgaged nonetheless. Thank you, Federal Reserve Bank, for that fabulous interest rate. My money, while not amounting to much in quantity - it is quality. I worked for that. Thank you, FDIC, for promising me that it will be there in the morning. This monumental election (anyone for a Biden/Palin write-in)? Someone fought for that right. And while you may not feel like you have a real voice (I don't much either) - you have a choice. To vote or not to vote.

I think we can all agree that the world would be a better place if we drank more water, didn't produce as much trash and there were fewer abortions. Regardless or your political denomination - we can ALL agree that fewer abortions are a good thing, less trash is a good thing, clean air a great thing, living beneath our means a fabulous thing.

Things may get worse before they get better. It may all be a huge hoax. (I really doubt that - but that isn't the issue.) The cornerstone of all this is: good things are still happening. Life does go on. I didn't exactly picture the Apocalypse occurring because the government basically wrote a hot check. You did? Well, run for president then. I'll be your VP. But people are still getting up and going to work and coming home and eating dinner with their families everyday. Some of us are eating Hamburger Helper instead of sirloin, but we're still showing up.

No comments: