Monday, December 10, 2007

Where does the light end and the darkness begin?

It's funny how you subconsciously adjust your expectations of yourself and others in certain situations. Like when you swing by the office on your day off wearing flips and a a tube top. Something just doesn't quite feel right....

Yesterday, I was standing in the church foyer (well, it's not really a foyer - but a big entrance area before you walk into the theatre/sanctuary/auditorium) when the girl in front of me at the coffee pot said, "Fuck it!".

I died. And then crumbled into several little pieces.

I don't see myself as someone who is easily embarrassed, but I was. I mean, let that roll around in your noggin. It even sounds harsh in print.

And then, I pictured one of the dozen 8 year olds repeating it a the dinner table and telling mom that he "heard it at church".

Unacceptable.

Which leads me to ask - is it ever acceptable? I mean, we've all heard the f-bomb dropped on numerous occasions, but just picture saying it in the kitchen in front of your mom. Yikes. See what I mean about subconscious expectations?

And was it appropriate for that girl to express herself in such a manner?

I'm not sure how I feel - but it was the first time I've ever heard the f-bomb at church!

1 comment:

Silverthornes said...

well put!