Thursday, December 14, 2006

the Have and Have Nots

I watched an episode of one of my all time favorite shows last night and it started me thinking. The whole show was making a semi-serious joke of the "smug marrieds vs. sad singles" war that rages unbeknown to everyone except those engaging in direct combat.

But - what ends up happening is this: someonw always ends up feeling like less of a person because of his/her relatioship status. This presents a completely different problem: Why, as human beings, do we feel the need to create a caste system within everything we do?

It's not good enough to merely have a Jaguar, husband, baby, or pair of Manolos... we have to let everyone who doesn't have a Jaguar, husband, baby, or pair of Manolos know that we do. In our heads, we create our own version Maslo's Hierarchy of Needs and begin to subject everyone else to our standards.

Can I tell you something? I don't want your husband - or one of my own for that matter, or your baby or Jaguar or Manolo's. They pinch my toes.

1 comment:

Silverthornes said...

I totally understand what you are saying. I think it is important to remember that we should not try to always meeet OTHER people's standards OR subject others to our standard of so-called "status."
They hurt my toes as well.